You are probably well aware that we experienced a pretty crazy blizzard up here in the Northeast last week. The weather man predicted the storms impact would be unlike anything we has seen since the famous “Blizzard of 78′. Which, by the way, I do not remember, cab driver from Monday Night. Because I was not born. This conversation happened between a cab driver and I on Monday night (I took a cab home from work at the Bistro because you better believe I was not moving my car until it was 100% necessary.)
Ali: Wow! This must be tough to drive in, huh?
Cab Driver: Yeah. This is the worst I have ever driven in!
Ali: How long have you been driving a cab?
Cab Driver: Oh it’s my second day.
Ali: Oh…(confused). I guess we haven’t had a storm this bad since the Blizzard of 78′.
Cab Driver: Oh yeah? What was that like? Do you remember it?
Ali: No. I wasn’t alive then.
Cab Driver: Oh I thought you looked at least 25 or so.
Ali: (calculating to make sure that 1978 was way more than 25 years ago) Um….I am older than 25, I’ll be 30 next month. 1978 was more than 25 years ago, significantly more than 25 years ago.
Cab Driver:Yeah. I’m 28.
Ali: Haha (even more confused)- well good luck driving. Have a great night!
I even joked with Adam over email in Thursday about the panic the Blizzard was causing- before I knew how insane it was going to be!
Adam did end up doing some shopping and said the grocery store was absolute mayhem! For the record, he took “anything you want” literally. Good thing though we needed food, since this storm was 50 shades of cray,cray!
I didn’t believe it could be as bad as they were saying, but it was. I experienced it first hand during my trek back and forth to work at the Bistro, both occurring during the height of the storm! The wind was insane, especially in the Navy Yard where the wind whipped right off if the water. Here are some scenes from Nemo (that was the Blizzard’s name):
Credit: some of these were taken by Adam.
The 5 things I did during the 5 days that I was snowed in:
1. Shoveled out our cars (3 times thanks to getting plowed in over and over) with my friend Lauren. Lauren and I became shoveling pros this weekend. We actually had a total blast shoveling our cars out together. Thank goodness for Lauren, because shoveling was certainly a two person job! I am pretty sure any shoveling I have to do from here on out will feel like a breeze!
2. Curled up on the couch with Oscar. This little guy was very happy about being snowed in. Except for the whole having to use the bathroom in 3 feet of snow! He spent the whole 5 days under blankets having a snoozefest.
3. Had Downton Abbey and House of Cards marathons. I am so obsessed with both of these shows. I have been meaning to get into Downton, but I have never had the time (#havingtwojobsproblems). I finally had some free time to get into it. As soon as I watched one episode I was hooked. I am one and a half seasons in and on the edge of my couch cushion.
House of Cards is a Netflix original series that I guess qualifies as a political drama. Kevin Spacey is awesome in it (per usual) and Kate Mara is AMAZING as Zoe. I’m pretty sure Zoe’s character steals the show. I am told that they already started filming the second season (#thankyounetflixgods) I am about half way through the first season. Adam is hooked too!
4. Got addicted to Ruzzle. I totally suck at it. Like really badly. But I don’t care. I am so addicted to Ruzzle it is crazy. I have yet to win one game, but that doesn’t stop me. If you are on Ruzzle and want to play, email me your Ruzzle name!!!!
5. Gave my liver a workout. There were certainly a few Nemo beverages consumed. I mean come on, what else there to do when you can’t drive anywhere and don’t have to work, right? Okay there is other stuff to do, but still….
I am glad to be back at work for sure! I missed working. I missed my co-workers and my students. Not that I had a full five days off, I did work a few nights a week at the Bistro. But I am glad to be (sort of ) shoveled out and back to my normal routine!
If you are from this area, what are 5 things you did thanks to Nemo? If you aren’t, what ways would you have spent 5 days snowed in?