Tuesday morning I woke up SICK! I had body aches, some respiratory congestion, a fever and sinus congestions. My body was so achy and my head felt like it weighted 100 pounds. I immediately took tylenol and a nasal decongestant. Breakfast was plain and eaten really slowly. I had two slices of toasted whole wheat bread with butter and cinnamon.
I spent most of the day on the sofa with Oscar watching shows on Investigation Discovery. I watched them until one episode totally freaked me out and I had to take a break. Those shows are so interesting to me, but totally freak me out at the same time. If I watch them home alone I end up getting so scared that I have to check under the beds and look in closets to make sure no creepers got into my house. Why do I love freaking myself out?
Around 1pm I whipped up a quick homemade chicken soup. I used boneless, skinless chicken breasts, organic low sodium chicken brother, whole wheat elbow macaroni, 1 bay leaf, organic celery, organic carrots, olive oil, an onion, dried parsley and dried thyme.
I bought a giant box of chicken broth at Costco a few months ago and it has really come in handy. Certain things are Costco I could never EVER use is all up before it goes bad, but broth is totally worth buying in bulk since I use it so much.
Here is my quick and simple healthy chicken soup recipie:
1. Dice onion or chop it in a food processor. I like my onions to be in really tiny bits.
2. Add onion, sliced carrots (about 5 carrots of so), sliced celery (about 4 stalks or so), a few shakes of parsley and thyme, 1 bay leaf and 2 tablespoons of olive oil to a large pot and cook over medium heat until the veggies are soft, but not browned.
3. Add 8 cups of chicken broth and 4 cups of water and bring to a boil.
4. Once the mix is boiling add three chicken breasts and simmer for 15 minutes until the chicken is cooked through.
5. Pull the chicken out and shred it using two forks on a cutting board then put the shredded chicken back in the pot.
6. Add about 8 ounces of whole wheat pasta to the pot and simmer for 7-8 more minutes until pasta is cooked.
I enjoyed a steaming bowl for lunch.
I also had a bowl for dinner with a whole grain roll and butter.
Black yoga pants (Aerie), Purple dip-dyed t-shirt (Gap), Gray zip-up hoodie (H&M), Black sweaty band (Sweaty Band), Nike Shox circa 2005.
I think the chicken soup helped, that and the rest because I am feel much better today!
What is your favorite thing to make/eat when you are sick?